This isn’t about football, rugby or any other sport for that matter. It is about being a better version of yourself. It is about being on top of your game as an immigrant here in Canada in a way that you add value wherever you find yourself.
There is no one ideal way to define an A player, but one thing is you cannot miss them. They stand out from others like a beacon.
Remember, relocating to Canada is a chance at starting afresh with a whole new perspective. Develop the right attitude and see yourself fly.
An A player can be described as an awesome employee with both character and competence. He or she is a person of integrity, empathy, foresight and has a sense of worth. An A player is a great team player who doesn’t blame others for his errors but rather, takes responsibility. She or he is that person that motivates and inspires others while adding value to their work. Someone who has tremendous energy and goes beyond his brief to complement all that is going around to reach that goal. Regardless, an A-plater delivers, going beyond the normal expectations of the assigned role. This person is also a great co-worker who is respectful to others and celebrates the joy of others without envy or jealousy.
Rick Crossland, author of “The A Player: The Definitive Playbook & Guide for Employees and Leaders Who Want to Play and Perform at the Highest Level” defines an A player in 6 ways:
- An employee is in the top 10 percent of their profession.
- A person on your team who you’ll enthusiastically rehire if you have the chance to do so again.
- An employee who drives all the profitability and growth. He doesn’t necessarily have to be in sales. He could be a receptionist, an IT person, etc. It doesn’t matter which position he occupies in an organization, he does it in a way that promotes the overall objectives of the company.
- A person of high integrity who delivers on commitment.
- An employee who fits your company culture and models your core values and behavior.
As a first-generation Canadian, you can be that A player. First, look around you to identify the A players in your work or other environment and then model your life and efforts in the same direction. Remember, relocating to Canada is a chance at starting afresh with a whole new perspective. Develop the right attitude and see yourself fly. Be that A player who is self-motivated, who works with passion, finds purpose in the process and inspires others to be the same.
Canada is a land of opportunities. For the immigrant who wants to be successful here in business or career, begin by having the right kind of attitude and energy that will spur you on to greatness.
You can be that A-player. Be the best version of yourself.
This piece contains excerpts of Episode 102 of The Immigrant Life Podcast. Listen here for more insights.
Review The Immigrant Life at https://go.immigrantlife.ca/review
Written by Yinka Bakare