Eight out of the 24 hours in a typical day is spent at work. That’s one-third of the day. That period typically sets the tone for the remaining sixteen hours. Time spent at the workplace is the most active part of the day. It therefore, goes without saying that a bad or a good day at work will translate to a bad or good family time and the rest of the day.
He who wants to win friends must first make himself/herself friendly. Be pleasant. Be easy to be around. Leave the airs. It’s distasteful. A strong come on is the other end of the line. Don’t be either. Just maintain an easy camaraderie.
Ever been grumpy after the day at work? Is the time at work wearing you down? Maybe just what you need is to maximize the time you spend at work.
If the workplace is that important, why can’t I have a good time at work? Why can’t I make the most of my relationships at work as that is also me? Why do I have to differentiate between workplace friends and others? There are many questions, dos and don’ts about workplace discipline, boundaries or lack of it.
How To Build Workplace Friendship
Know this. You can’t be friends with everyone no matter how hard you try. Friendship can’t be forced. It can only be built and nurtured. Here’s how:
- He who wants to win friends must first make himself/herself friendly. Be pleasant. Be easy to be around. Leave the airs. It’s distasteful. A strong come on is the other end of the line. Don’t be either. Just maintain an easy camaraderie.
- Success attracts. Be good at what you do. You’d naturally attract positive people with pretty much the same kind of mindset.
- Don’t indulge in office gossip and backstabbing. It’s crappy to run others down.
- Be appreciative of people’s efforts.
- Learn about other’s cultures and practices.
- Be open to learning as well as teaching what you know.
- Respect office rules and norms.
For more tips, tune in to Episode 88 of The Immigrant Life Podcast.
If you have questions or concerns, we would be glad to offer further insights through our experiences.
Written by Yinka Bakare.